Where are we going?!
We’re going to Turkmenistan, the most secretive country in Central Asia! A country where national TV stations only broadcast good news and where smoking, beards and unwashed cars are prohibited. A country with a Ministry of Horses and airconditioned bus stops. With no more than a few thousand tourists a year and a handful of daily flights to Ashgabat, there is much to be discovered in Turkmenistan.
Why would I want to go there?
Where to start? With its empty four-lane roads, thermometer monuments and the largest indoor ferris wheel in the world, white marbled Ashgabat may well be the strangest city on earth. Hidden in the grand void that is the Turkmen landscape, one can find remains of once important Silk Road cities. To top things off, the burning fire crater of Derweze – also known as the Gate of Hell – awaits in the middle of the Karakum Desert.
To complete your culture shock, there’s the opportunity to meet the Turkmen people themselves during the traditional spring festival Nowruz. Marveling at their beautiful dresses and warm sheepskin hats in this desert country is nice. Discussing their nomadic traditions, bride robbery and the importance of Melon Day to desert dwellers is even more interesting.
|19 March 2020||28 March 2020||10 days||4-8||yes>|
- international flight Amsterdam – Istanbul – Ashgabat
- transport in Turkmenistan
- accommodation based on double room, including breakfast
- accommodation at pilgrimage site, Gözli Ata
- accommodation in yurt, Derweze
- accommodation in night train Ashgabat – Turkmenbashi
- accommodation in night train Dashoguz – Ashgabat
- all excursions and entry fees
- travel insurance
- visa Turkmenistan ($89)
- migration fee Turkmenistan ($14)
- tourist fee Turkmenistan ($2 p.p.p.n.)
- meals and alcohol beverages, unless stated otherwise
- personal expenses
Take me further!
Curious about this tour? Complete the contact form below to get more information about cultural overdose (in Dutch). If you’d rather chat in English, give us a call at +31 6 81 83 20 58.